Inn at Welland Spiced Rhubarb Fool
We’ve just been given a lovely bunch of Rhubarb, so thought this recipe from The Inn at Welland would be perfect.
Spiced Rhubarb Fool
with ginger snap biscuit
500ml double cream
100g icing sugar
250ml Greek yogurt
Dash of strawberry liqueur
1 x vanilla pod
300g fresh rhubarb
300 g caster sugar
1 star anise
125g soft unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
250g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp chopped stem ginger
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F/Gas 4
- For the fool mix – whip the double cream until it forms a peak, add the icing sugar, yoghurt, strawberry liqueur, vanilla seeds, whisk until well combined.
- Place the rhubarb onto a baking tray, sprinkle with sugar and add the star anise and cinnamon stick. Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the rhubarb is tender.
- Allow the rhubarb to cool and then fold into the fool mixture until well combined.
- For the biscuit mix – cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy,
- Stir in the egg & golden syrup. Add the flour, baking powder, ground ginger and stem ginger and mix until well combined
- Roll the mixture into golf ball sized shapes and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Break some of the biscuits into crumbs and layer into a tall glass.